Friday, February 25, 2005

Not enough sugar for these lemons

Don't you hate it when you have these enormous expectation of how an event should go in your life? Be it a wedding, a party, or in my case a vacation. Really, this only happens in the movies...family down on their luck go on a vacation, a warm sunny vacation only to get there and be welcomed with rain for the entire span of the time they are there? Movies. It's only supposed to happen in movies. Just like Cancer. Only people in the movies get Cancer. That's it. No more movies. They force me to set to high expectations in my life and I start to believe that those things, those ironic, frustrating events only can be put together in Hollywood.

As I have done so many times in my 29 years of life, I must make the best of a disappointing situation. I am forcing myself to look at the silver lining. Derek and I had a great flight down. This is the first Derek and Emily vacation that we have ever been on. We never got a honeymoon. We have never got a tropical vacation. The vacation just started out great. As I stood in line at the airport, waiting to board the plane....a process that I typically do by myself, mind you, it was a relaxing feeling to be able to look over and see my sweet husband, right there in line with me. I squeezed his arm and just knew this was going to be the best vacation ever. I was with my best friend. We weren't flying standby but had sure seats that we didn't have to hold our breath for. It was going to be great. We boarded our flight with only 45 other people. We held hands, took a nap. I got to have my own personal foot rest. It was great. We finally got into Ft. Lauderdale and met my father at the airport. Gave him the biggest hug I could possibly give a man who has just put his body through hell. And again, thought, this is going to be the best vacation ever. We got into Cape Coral in under two hours. Perfect. Getting to the house a half hour before expected. Jenn and Tom waited up for us and welcomed us with hugs and laughs and great midnight chatter. Pure Bliss.

But now I sit here at almost midnight shivering. Shivering in Florida. This is not good. I've been shivering all day. See, that's what happens when you go to the beach and it rains all over you. I must assume that the sun just doesn't like me. We all know that the sun refuses to shine in the Frozen Tundra. But to also taunt me on my vacation? Now this is just cruel. And yes, before you point it out, I do realize that I said in my last post that I don't care if it rains or pours..I lied. I am so frustrated I can honestly say that I think I could cry. Me cry. The girl who was born with absolutely no tear ducts. All rain. No sun. All rain for my entire vacation. This totally sucks. So, I am pulling out bags and bags of sugar hoping to sweeten up these bitter lemons and salvage some lemonade.

No comments:

Blog Archive